Preventing mold in your home is something you should take very seriously. Exposure to high levels of mold can lead to allergies and possibly more serious health problems. Mold grows best in warm, moist, temperatures, and is most often found growing on paper, leather, dirt, and soap scum.
Getting rid of the mold as soon as possible is essential to keeping it from spreading. Below we have compiled a list of out top 5 tips for preventing mold in the house.
- Dry any wet materials: Wet materials should not be left lying around your home. If you must hang dry your clothes, try keeping them in an area with a fan, or even dry them outside your home. Dirty shower towels should be hung up after use and washed every few uses.
- Clean, disinfect and dry surfaces: All surfaces of the house should be disinfected and dried every so often. It is not a bad idea to call your local house cleaning service every so often for a thorough cleaning. You would be surprised how unsanitary your kitchen can get.
- Reduce moisture levels: Make sure that you are turning on the exhaust fan every time you are taking a shower. If it is not circulated, the warm air from the shower can cause mold build up in your bathroom.
- Increase air flow in your home: Moving furniture away from air vents and keeping closet doors open is essential to keep air circulated. Of course, fresh air is always the preferred choice for circulating air through your home.
5. Keep up with your plants: Did you know that plants in your home are source of mold? Although they make a beautiful centerpiece, mold loves to grow in soil and on the leaves of your house plants.
Hopefully these tips helped you become better aware of the pre-cautions you need take to keep your house safe and mold free.
Where have you found mold in your home? Leave us a comment; we would love to hear from you!