Those who have hardwood floors in their home know that it is hard to keep them looking clean. It seems like a grueling task, but with a few helpful tips, you should easily be able to keep your hardwood floors looking brand new for years to come.
- Clean up spills immediately. Once something hits the floor, even an ice cube, pick it up immediately and wipe off the area in which it touched.
- Invest in a rug to put near your entryways where guests can wipe their feet whenever they come through the door. Rugs are also great near areas that attract water such as the sink.
- Sweep up dirt using a terrycloth mop every few days to keep the floors from getting scratched.
- After sweeping, use a Swiffer to go over floors every few days.
- Make sure you don’t use excessive water to clean your floor. Excess water on the floor can crack and splinter the wood.
- Invest in using protective window treatment for windows that shine onto your hardwood floors. Too much sun shining onto the floors can cause permanent damage.
- Trim your pets’ nails regularly to keep them from scratching the floors.
- If you are using a floor cleaner for the first time, do some research before purchasing.
- Pass over your recently mopped floor with a swiffer to prevent streaking.
- Hire a cleaning service to come bi-monthly to care for your hardwood floors, and the rest of your dirty house.
I hope these tips have motivated you to get a jump-start on caring for your hardwood floors. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us!
How to you care for your hardwood floors? Leave us a comment; we would love to hear from you!